Saturday, November 10, 2007

Lucy, Carol and Mary




These three comedic geniuses have brought me laughs throughout my life. And I was reminded how much I love them by the PBS "American Masters" program last week on Carol Burnett. Thanks to Sammy for encouraging me to watch it, despite the mediocre review in the stodgy NY Times. If you get a chance to watch it, you'll love it.

I've always been a Lucy fanatic-even as a young kid I raced home to watch the escapades of Lucy, Ethel, Ricky and Fred. Still, years later, when I've seen every episode atleast seven times, I laugh and laugh some more.

And Mary Tyler more-a different type of funny, but still, I loved watching her, Mr Grant, Murray and the gang and stop everything when a re-run comes on.

Sure, there are some modern day actors and actresses that are amazingly talented and funny--Seinfeld, Wil and Grace, The Office and, from my childhood--Three's Company and Happy Days, but it's not the same. Those 70s shows have dated and modern tv is of the moment, but there's not the pure, innocent, great fun that these three ladies continue to bring me today.

No comments: