Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The Lives of Others

I haven't written in awhile and I'm not even sure anyone is still reading. Life has been fine, but I haven't felt the need or urge to write--until now.

I just finished watching for the second time in 24 hours, "The Lives of Others," which won this year's Academy Award for Best Foreign Film. The acting, the story, the cinematography are all haunting and hauntingly beautiful. And, as many reviewers have noted, it could have ended several times before it did. But it ended in the best possible way.

It's on DVD now, with some wonderful features, including a director's narrated version, which makes the second viewing essential.

Loved it. And for someone who usually can't stand subtitles or long movies and falls asleep even in the best of films, that's saying a lot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm still reading...this is the type of movie that makes you clutch your heart and sigh. So moving... in unexpected ways...