Monday, January 7, 2008

Going Nuts About Barack

Alright, already. How many euphemisms have been said?: "riding a wave;" "changing the nation;" "a new era;" "we can all change the world together."

I don't know who I'll vote for (and, in Massachusetts, does it really matter?), but come on folks--including some of my closest friends and, especially, the media--let's cool it on Barack insanity until he's received more than 70,000 votes in a country of 250 million. He may be the right person at the right time, but I'm still not convinced. He's a junior senator with two years national experience and, prior to that, a city councilman. Don't issues matter any more? Isn't there more than hope?

Yes, I agree that Hillary can appear manipulative (but I do believe her teary speech this morning) and cold and that Bill just needs to shut up. But she's one smart woman and, yes, has experience.

Let's see this through for, oh, I don't know, at least a few weeks, before we coronate someone we hardly know, ok?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's just what I was looking for this afternoon at work when I looked up your blog. I wanted to hear what you are thinking about Obama - rama.
I love the guy. He makes me cry. I really believe in hope....... but we need to kick the Republican Guard's ass and fight to defend ourselves. I really believe that this county is deeply divided and yes, sure lots of people wish it weren't but I don't believe a little Kumbaya and we can all get along. Our differences are too deep. My dream at the moment is Mike Bloomberg. OK, yeah I know the first Jew in the White House.
But he has reasonable good values and he knows how to get things done. He has access to power and he knows how to wield it. But I also know the dangers of a third party, so I'd love to see Bloomberg line up with the Demos.
All this talk about experience isn't about how long have you been on the job or done the tasks. Look at W. What had he ever done? But he had access to power. Even Bill and Hillary came in from the sticks and it took them a while to figure out how to get things done. And things are a lot more serious now. Everything was cruising along just fine when Bill was screwing around in the White House. The Republican Guard didn't really mind that he was in the White House because the economy was humming along just fine. It's not that I wouldn't love CHANGE, but I'm afraid we are going to get our asses kick once more. We need muscle and power to fight those guys back. So who is the fighting guy.... Edwards, a white guy from the south.... that ought work. He's just too pretty and are we going to have a funeral in the white house. I do understand his committment in the light of Elizabeth's terminal cancer better having read an in-depth article about them in NYT.
Just remembering that I signed up as a California Democrat so I could vote for Jesse Jackson in the primaries years ago. But that was a kinder, gentler, more naive and younger time. Now I'm a practical grown up and I want to "get things done" or at least prevent things from getting worse.